Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

November 24, 2010

Star Anise Chicken

This is a homey Chinese chicken dish that I like very much. I made it for you because I'm sure you will like it too. It is served mainly with steamed rice. Popular because it's so simple to make with very few ingredients. For 4 servings you need 10 pieces of chicken preferably drumsticks and thighs. I discard the skins and trim of any visible fat. Then you will need 5 pieces of star anise, 3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of dry sherry, 3 garlic  cloves and a nob of ginger crushed or pounded together. Two stalks of green unions and another one you set aside for garnishing. Last ingredient is 1 tablespoon of muscovado sugar.
Set aside the chicken and bring to a boil the rest of the ingredients together with half a cup of water for 10 minutes or until slightly reduced.
I take some of the solids out before I put the chicken to boil. After a vigorous boil, simmer for at least 20 minutes. Arrange them in a plater and garnish with shredded scallions.

9 comments:

  1. Such an interesting and lovely dish!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vengo a agradecer tú visita y comentario en mí blog mil gracias, y sobre todo por que al dejar tú comentario me ha permitido conocer tan rico blog que tienes, por aquí andare visitandote muy seguido, saludos desde México.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW THIS DISH!! Yayyyy my mom / dad used to cook it all the time. It is simple and tasty and yes, goes soooo well with steamed rice I used to clean up my plate in just MINUTES!! Thanks for this recipe, brings back childhood memories :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dish looks very delicious. I just cooked 3 cups chicken tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my kind of food. The drumsticks and thighs are the tastier parts and this lovely dish makes great use of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will make this dish as soon as possible! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States