Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

January 10, 2011

Shredded Duck Salad

Here is a salad I remembered having in a hotel restaurant in Hong Kong some years ago. It was shredded  roast duck on a bed of Chinese cabbage, cucumber and carrots. I liked it a lot and took note of the dressing that was so flavorful. I make the salad every time I have some roast duck in the house. I think I make it almost the same way with just one change. I use romaine lettuce instead. Just love the crisp and fresh taste of it.
In the hotel, it was presented in a huge serving plater layered with the chopped cabbage first, the shredded cucumber, then the carrots. The strips of roast duck were arranged neatly on top. A pair of nice chopsticks are poised on the plater and the dressing is poured just before serving.

This is such a delicious salad and very easy to make. You chop the lettuce and shred the carrots and cucumber. Layer them and top with the shredded roast duck. The quantity of the ingredients really depends on how many servings you want. This one can be for four. At least 1/2 pound of duck should be perfect and add one more heart of romaine if you wish.
For the dressing you will need 2 tablespoon of red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon of prepared mustard, 1 1/2 tablespoon demerara sugar, 1 tablespoon of pure sesame oil and 1 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce. Mix well. The dressing is so tasty, I always double the ingredients in case the guests want more. 
Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Arthur, mira que me gustan las ensaladas, ésta de pepino, luchuga, zanahoria y pavo con esa salsita te ha quedado fenomenal. Que buena pinta tiene!
    Me llama la atención ese pelador, por aqui no los he visto, tiene que ser muy práctico.
    Besos Marimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had duck a few months ago in our Montreal Chinatown and unfortunately that day...duck was not to be their specialty?!? It was kind of on the drier side. It certainly would have benefitted from having a great big dose of your flavourful sauce ;P

    Have a fabulous day Arthur.
    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shredded duck salad looks yummy. Love the way you arrange the food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delicious recipe and so tasty!!
    A big hug and that this year is full of beautiful things and health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HAVE TO TRY THIS SALAD..THANK YOU mICHELANGELO...THANK YOU VERY MUCH, GRAZIE ANCHE PER LE VISITE AL MIO BLOG, CIAO Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me encantan las ensaladas, pero esta con pato es lo más, se ve super deliciosa. Aquí yo no encuentro pato para cocinar, así que cuando quieras me invitas a una ensaladita de estas, jajaja. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi arthur, actually this dish reminds me of the peking duck that we eat in restaurants. They will slice out the duck's crispy skin and make a dish on its own and the remaining duck meat , some will stir fried and some will make salad. oh, they cant waste the bones too, the bones will be saved for making duck bones with salted vegetable..so 3 dishes in one duck.is this dipping sauce similar to the dipping sauce made for peking duck? not familiar with the red wind vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oops, typing error, what i meant was duck soup with salted vegetable

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is tantalizing. I love that dressing and can imagine it on all sorts of other dishes. My dinner's almost done and now I want what you're having.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just had some Roast Duck yesterday, and now I am drooling all over again. I love duck. Served on this bed of salad and topped with that delicious dressing... omg I am salivating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how how you just "have" roasted duck in the house! Can we please meet someday?!

    I must know what demerara sugar is....!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always creating amazing things!!.....I just love it!!....good combination!......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  13. The last time I had roast duck, it was in Hong Kong too! But that was already 7 years ago, way too long not to taste this fabulous dish. I likely my duck crispy and wrapped in a Chinese pancake, but your salad looks very, very enticing too...love all the different colors. You cook and bake and sculpt extremely well, you are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had duck salad in a restuarant the other night - not half as nice as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow che blog!!! mi iscrivo subito!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous salad...my sons adore duck and will go wild for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmmmm... this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States