Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

January 20, 2011

Flowers in Winter - A Picture that Grows on You!


There are no flowers growing in the garden in the dead of winter so I had to force it by making them myself for an outdoor party. Finally we have one week of sun in January. We are going out to enjoy the outdoors and pick the flowers and eat them too. Flowers that don't wilt for days or before they do, can stir-fry them in a wok for a quick meal. They are after all carrot, daikon, beet, and radish flowers. The phoenix that is of red and orange carrots will add color to the stew. Here are some of the vegetables I carved for this crowded picture.



The carrot is a year round vegetable and the fresh ones are best for carving. I use a homemade knife that I am really comfortable with. Just long enough to manipulate it and do strokes like a pen.




I love to work with green daikon for its lovely color.  These look more like succulents than flowers, I think.


The watermelon radish is only available from October until early January and is the most colorful of all. They can have different shades of red like ruby or magenta. The golden beets have also very nice yellow hue and the daikon is of course completely white. The red beets are the last ones to carve because they stain a lot. I soak them in water and blot them dry before putting them with the rest.

Behold!



            

30 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! I am sending this link to my Mom, she will love this!

    Does it take you long to do this? I imagine you are quick???

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...Michelangelo...this masterpiece must be at Louvre!!!! Magnifico!!! sei troppo bravo, ciao Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could I not come running when flowers were mentioned in your title. Your talents making beauty out of simple everyday produce is breathtaking.
    Arthur, once more, we can marvel amongst your glorious creativity and enthusiasm for making the precious.

    Have a great week and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que bonitas!!y que colorido!!!
    Bss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! This is amazing...so beautiful to look at. You're an great artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that is fabulous!! can;t believe you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing......these are jewels!!.....you are the best!!......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love yur work, is incredible and so beauty.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your art, you are amazing artist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ciao Arthur! It's wonderful! I would like to learn carving! Can you give me some titles of books ? thank you! bye....

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be wonderful for a party, right on a main buffet table!

    Where do you live, I need your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, wow, wow, stunning, brilliant what more can I say I am just stunned by this. Wish you were a little closer to show me how you do this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bravo, another masterpiece ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I can say and add is this work of art is FANTASTIC ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Impresionante!!! eres un gran artista, seguro que además de la cocina, se te dan bien otras ramas artísticas, porque es increible lo que puedes hacer con las verduras, da pena comerlas.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing! Michelangelo is the perfect name for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG- I barely have words for how good these look. OMG..you are AMAZING!!!!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  18. Que gran trabajo has hecho con las flores! Me encanta el cuadro. Fantástico!! Besos Marimi

    ReplyDelete
  19. incredible arthur!! they look even more beautiful than the real ones! i think you shouldnt just do it for friends or parties, i suggest you open an exhibition,display all of your masterpieces , let the rest of the world see and appreciate all these magnificent pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ... And the Oscar goes to: Michelangelo! You are a great artist.
    Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I had to carve these beauties, I'd probably go blind and I'd have shredded flesh for fingers! It's so amazing to see all the meticulous details and I really don't know how you have the patience. Every time I see your carvings, I get misty-eyed because they are seriously beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mi fa sempre piacere venire a commentarti per scoprire cosa di bello hai creato ed ogni volta mi stupisci.
    Sei un grande!
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow! Very beautiful with all the vibrant colors! What a great artist you are!

    ReplyDelete
  24. sono meravigliosi, come avrei imparato a farlo, perché ho la pazienza haha, mi sono davvero divertito
    MIL BESOSSS

    ReplyDelete
  25. Maybe one day you might consider doing a very simple step by step post on how to even begin doing this.. I would love to carve a carrot, but have no idea where to begin... you make it look effortless - I think of you in the 'zone' somehow doing these - Just glorious !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Impressive sculptures Michelangelo, glad to have discovered your blog!

    /Alessandro from Stockholm

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just unbelievable as well as stunning. Indeed looks like a burst of spring florals in the
    garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just incredible! You never cease to amaze us.

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States