Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

May 30, 2011

Almond Paste Made from Scratch



Almond paste bought in stores are either too sweet or too processed with fillers and preservatives, not to mention pricey. Making it at home requires a bit more of elbow grease but it's all worth it in the end. It tastes so much better. After all today, it is a badge of honor to be able to say, one make a culinary delight from scratch. The paste is such an important ingredient for a lot of pastries. Almond cream is made with this delicious paste or the favorite frangipane filling. It is I think the secret to making artisan-quality bakery goods in your own home.
Start with 2 pounds of raw almonds and pour boiling water into them for at least 5 minutes.
This should soften and loosen the skin and slide off easily when rubbed between your fingers.

Toast  the almonds until completely dry in a 250F oven for less than 10 minutes. Let cool and start grinding.  
Very dry almonds will grind very well in a food processor. Repeat the grinding until almost powder. Set aside and make the syrup that will sweeten and bind into a paste. For every cup of almond meal I put 1/4 cup of sugar and a tablespoon of light corn syrup.  Heat the sugar mixture about 235F until dissolved without stirring. Then add a drop or two of almond extract to the syrup if you wish. Return the fine almond meal into the processor and grind again incorporating the syrup slowly. Find a grinder that can make peanut butter if your food processor does not grind finely enough.
It's now ready to use or eat. It will stay firm but malleable at room temperature. This paste is perfect for making marzipan.
I took a piece to test and darkened it with a pinch of cocoa powder and pressed it on a mould dusted with  powdered sugar. The result was quite satisfactory. Every detail of the mould will come out really fine when the paste is made well, I have to say. 
I am sure you'll have much fun making this and other recipes with the versatile almond paste.
Enjoy!

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing how to make almond paste :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crazy about everything with almond, that's why my favourite portuguese sweets are made in the south where almond trees grow. I'm sure I would love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very useful post indeed, but unfortunately, I'd probably have to go find myself a better food processor. Maybe then, I'd be able to also make my own peanut butter and goodies like these! Will keep this in mind for when I do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have often thought about making my own but have always talked myself out of it!! Next time I will make my own after seeing your recipe, Thanks. Love your mould :-) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous almond paste! I've never baked with it before, but given how much I love almond flavoring, I'm sure I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are always almonds in my house, toasted so dry, but i do it on low heat for longer time, and they make a sound like glass when i break them with my teeth, i love them and i thought so many times to make this from scratch, sooner or later i will do it, right now here is so very hot! My mother used to make almond milk with the paste, that was really delicious, also made into sorbet, your coconut milk sorbet look alike. Sei bravissimo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Un gran lavoro prepararla in casa, ma sicuramente ne vale la pena!
    So che già lo hai visto, ma adesso ti faccio un'invito ufficiale...ti va di partecipare al mio contest? Ti aspetto!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sensational!! Tenha uma boa semana. Um abraço, Marta.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelangelo como siempre me dejas con la boca abierta. Una receta muy interesante e útil. Feliz día!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great instructions and I appreciate the detail you provided. I'm looking forward to trying this. I absolutely love almond paste but, as you said, it's pretty pricey. I hope my food processor can do a good job with this recipe!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a temptation totally fascinated me and I do, thanks for the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh jesus looks great! and i'm in love with almond mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! That is impressive. It never occured to me that you could make almond paste at home. Awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant idea! I'm intrigued by this recipe and I'm definitely going to try it :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this marizpan next time when I make stollen I will use this recipe. Final picture is artistic masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this almond paste.....you are temptin me to do it now!!.....I use almonds in winter, but now.....you're tempting me to do it soon!........Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent explanation, ... Bravo Arthur!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this. The last picture looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mold is gorgeous...the details! I made marzipan once but I cheated and used almonds that have already been peeled and sliced...haha. Thanks for sharing this method of making almond paste, very useful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pero que delicia de receta, me ha encantado mil gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this!!! and how many almonds!! je,je, love almonds, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  22. i reckon this is so much better than store bought. Appreciate your sharing, arthur!

    ReplyDelete
  23. hello

    I love almond paste - your recipe looks fantastic! Recently my diet had to change and now I can only use honey as a sweetener. Could your recipe be made with honey instead of the granulated sugar? Using a light-colored honey will not-so-much give the almonds, or anything - a honey flavor... What do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States