Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

December 17, 2010

Stuffed Chicken Wings

Many like this dish very much but would not make it because they think its just too laborious or too difficult. When in fact is easy as pie. The dish is of Thai and Vietnamese origin. Most popular as finger food, an appetizer or as a side dish. I saw them served like this in Bangkok and still remember the recipe.
To many guests, they look like either lobster tales or breaded giant prawns, and so they fly off the platter in a flash but are never disappointed when they take the first bite. They usually for go for one more.
The dipping sauce is made of finely grated carrots using a microplane grater, 2 tablespoons and garlic 2 cloves. Season with fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, black pepper and a hint of cayenne pepper powder then dilute with warm water. Adjust seasonings according to your taste.

The wings are usually served with the dipping sauce that makes the appetizer even more flavorful. The dish is prepared in a variety of ways. This is my version made specially for you.

Thoroughly mix in a huge bowl 1 egg, 1/2 cup each of the finely minced scallions,carrots,bamboo shoots,blanched moong bean threads, softened dried shitake mushrooms and 2 1/2 cups of ground chicken leg meat. Season with salt and black pepper well. You can also use other lean ground meat of your choice. Then set aside to prepare the wings.


Clean at least 12 and cut off the drummet portion of the wing to save for another recipe. Bone each one by cutting around the two joint bones carefully with a sharp paring knife. Then push down the meat scraping the ones attached to the bones. Separate the two bones and dislodge them one at a time. They should come off easily without breaking. Stuff the wings by holding the wing like you do an ice cream cone towards the top and begin stuffing, packing it down to the bottom. I should make a fat little wingget.


Dust each stuffed wing with flour and steam for at least 30 minutes. Line the steamer with green onions to avoid them from sticking to the pan. When done carefully transfer them to a plate to cool a bit. Then roll them in egg wash, and then in panko bread crumbs slightly seasoned with salt and pepper.  Pan fry till golden brown. Lay them on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve them in any nice way you like.


This recipe is for 12 but guests usually get 2 or more so make two batches of these if you like. Enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. What a job!!....but a great one!!....this is amazing, and tasty too....I still think about your "empanadas'....it reminds me an old technique that is used in "sfogliatelle napoletane".....have you tried them??.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have attempted many times but could not get it as nicely as the ones from Napoli. This also requires a lot of space to stretch the dough greasing it with lard. I even used a pasta maker for the paper thin dough but was not quite right. Beautiful but quite difficult to make.
    Thanks very much for your inspiring comments. Happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious stuffed chicken, it tempting to veggie like me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious, a good choice for this part of the chicken

    Great as removing the wing bones...:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those stuffing in the chicken wings. Looks so delicious :)
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for your visit, from now on I´ll be your follower!. I love chiken wings and these look delicious, but I think it´s too much work for me!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not just beautiful but mouth wateringly (!) delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow... I'm drolling now.. ! :p
    they looks perfectly scrumptious ! I must try this one also :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. love those golden crumbs..i also seen this before in one of my recipe books..like what you mentioned, could be difficult and a messy job for me..havent even tried deboning a chicken before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds just amazing but my steamer is in France! I have made a note of this as I have many people in France for aperitifs so this sounds ideal for me. Thanks for this one. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely golden sunburst of chicken. I love your cooking method too, retaining all the succulence by steaming, and giving it a lovely fried crust at the end. Will definitely be trying this out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stuffed chicken wings!!!
    Wow that is skill full but coming from you its not a surprise.
    Awesome dish ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.. I tried making it once, but I can't get the bone out cleanly without tearing it apart. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My jaw hit the floor and I am now drooling. super cool recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right, this is a very laborious recipe but if someone was to make it for me, I'd devour it in seconds! It looks absolutely crispy delicious, my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE Asian food. I agree, making this is a bit difficult job, but certainly awarding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those chicken wings look like such a treat. I've been reading back through your blog and I'm amazed at your talent. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never seen anything like this stuffed chicken. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitivamente tienes un blog maravilloso que recetas tan deliciosas,felices fiestas navideñas, saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Devo provare a casa come le ali molto e credo che una grande idea di mangiare bene riempita
    migliaia besosssssss

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a clever technique! The filling sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the detailed "how to"

    ReplyDelete
  22. AWESOME! I am making my husband make these!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't imagine anyone ever being disappointed...these are an amazing appetizer :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay this is another must-try on my list because you've presented so well that....well, how can anyone resist? I was already salivating at the description of the filling.

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States