Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

December 01, 2010

Panellets

Panellets is Catalan for little breads. They are a traditional dessert made specially for a holiday but is popular through out. The recipe varies in many parts of Spain. Made mainly with marzipan together with chestnuts or sweet potatoes. Panellets are often accompanied with sweet wine, usually chilled moscatell. These are small cookies with different shapes mostly round covered with pine nuts and glazed with egg wash. Panellets date back at least to the 18th century and until then a variety of shapes and garnishing were tried.I made some with macademia and cashew for you.
I am sure you'll like these too. Panellets with slivered almonds, coconut flakes, macademia, quince paste and cashew. Here's how to make them.
Knead to a soft dough 2 cups of almond meal, 1 cup mashed white sweet potatoes, 3/4 cups sugar and half of the egg white of a small size egg. You don't want the dough too soft to shape into balls.
Roll the chestnut size balls on a bed of pine nuts to cover completely and brush with egg wash. Bake in 350 F oven for at least 12 to 15 minutes. Watch them for the could burn easily.

In my oven, this how they look like after 15 minutes. Make some other fun shapes and garnishing if you have any marzipan paste left. Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. Te han kedado precioso, ke pena ke no pueda probarlos porke seguro ke están más ke deliciosos!!!

    Besossss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your panellets look really authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this recipe...thanks a lot for you clear istructions....ciao Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blog avec des créations magnifiques et des recettes très intéressantes.
    Je reviendrai.
    Salutations de Paris.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! This is a very new recipe to me. Looks so cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muy ricos, una excelente receta me ha encantado, saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very special treat! The combined almond meal, sweet potato, sugar, and egg produce aromatic fragrance.

    I myself would like to try out different coating variety, just pretty sure everybody would love Panellets :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is new to me, as well- but not for long! I'm making these for our Christmas Eve Tea! Thanks, Arthur, I need to keep adding something new to my repetoire of finger foods!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds easy to make and looks very yummy too.
    Would like to add this in my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful!!....they look very yummy!!...I love them!!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow...delicious and very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love marzipan, I would love to try these. What a wonderful recipe to share!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Love these cute little breads. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Cheers,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ¡¡Estos panellets te han quedado de lujo!!

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  15. How interesting! I've never encountered these cookies before, they're very eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hola!! que recetas tan ricas vengo a encontrar por aqui, estos panellets se ven de lujo!
    saludos
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  17. WoW!! So far from Cataluña and you've made such nice panellets!!
    I should go and hurry to make ones myself..!!
    :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States