Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

January 15, 2011

Scotch Eggs with Quail

I tried these bite size Scotch eggs in Hawaii once. I found out they were made with quail eggs, of course. That is why they were so good. Quail eggs are readily available in California. You can find them often really fresh at the farmer's market or Asian stores. They have become a favorite in the house and I use them in so many recipes specially in Chinese cooking. Now, whenever I make Scotch eggs I use them instead of chicken eggs. They make ideal bite size tapas or appetizers. You can dip the whole egg easily in aioli or any preferred sauce.
This is a recipe for 12 eggs. Boil water and cook them for at least 7 minutes. Then peel off the shells and wash in running water to rid of tiny bits of eggshells stuck to the eggs.
These eggs can be fiddly to peel but I found an easy way. Tap the egg all over with the back of a spoon and pinch a loose end and peel like you do with a mandarin orange. For the meat to cover you will need about 1 1/2 cup of ground chicken mixed with a sprig of parsley, 1/4 cup of pecorino or parmigiano cheese, 1 spoonful of breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon of egg white, black pepper and salt to taste. Grind everything to the consistency of meatball.

1 tablespoon of the ground meat will cover the entire egg nicely. Spoon the meat and put in a plate of flour to dust so you can handle the sticky meat and form a pancake about 3 inches in diameter. This should neatly encase the egg. Roll them in beaten eggs and then breadcrumbs. Fry in medium heat until golden brown. These will make excellent hors d'oeuvres for any party. 


Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. I hope you are well.
    An outstanding dish x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sono buonissime!!! Sei bravissimo, complimenti! Buon week end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I will enjoy them!!....I enjoy everything you show us here......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious crispy outer covering and cooked interior is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uauuuuuu delicioso, tiene una pinte espectacular, y el sabor debe una mara.villa, tomo nota de tu receta

    Besossssss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and delicious! Bite sized quail eggs are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. De petites boulettes comme je les aime.
    J'ai fait une recette similaire (http://saveursetgourmandises-nadjibella.blogspot.com/2009/12/ufs-la-mode-thai.html) mais je note ta version qui me plait beaucoup.
    Happy sunday and see soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I made scotch eggs once and I too used Quail Eggs (from the Asian Market)...mine did not look nearly THIS BEAUTIFUL!!!

    Yes I found them super tedious to peel so thanks for the tip on peeling! I will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muy buena idea los huevos de codorniz de tu receta. Yo hago unos similares con huevos de gallina, siempre resultan deliciosos.
    Feliz domingo y hasta pronto. Marimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelangelo..... yummie...eggs!!!

    I wish you to join to my contest... you are troppo bravo....a food-artist...you have to join to it!!!

    Even your friends are invited....have a nice Sunday, ciao Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty and delicious!!:D

    Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Che ricetta originale ancora meravigliosa, nella sua semplicità è una prelibatezza
    migliaia besosssss

    ReplyDelete
  13. A scotch egg is not normally a thing of beauty but yet again you have elevated the everyday to something outstanding. I love the chicken and cheese casing and would be happy to eat these light delicious morsels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree these would make a most delightful appetizer for any gathering...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks delighting and will be great for starters too! 1 piece would be enough for me..afraid of high calories, haha!! you didnt carve the flowers this time, did you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel unwordly and unsophisticated never having had a scotch egg or seen a quail egg. You have given me an appetite for them and somehow I know the opportunity will now come way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quail eggs are new to me however they seem quite delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant! Wish I could have one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect serving for a special occasion like friends gathering or parties. Just love how these scotch eggs look, especially when they are halved! Great recipe, btw and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Une recette tres appetissante.. heureuse d'avoir trouvé ton blog.. a bientot
    alimonia

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States