Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

January 28, 2011

Kumquat Candy for the Love of Panna Cotta

The kumquats are now in season, in time for the Chinese New Year. This fruit plays an important part in Chinese tradition, presented to usher the New Year. The kumquat has another name in Chinese that rhymes with gold and luck. The shape of the fruit is a symbol of unity and perfection and the leaves symbolizes wealth. Everyone who eats this fruit will be insured of good fortune, prosperity and happiness. Well, here is your chance to give it a try or at least taste it. I made candied kumquat for the panna cotta, not traditional but very delicious! Here is how to make the candy.

Pick the kumquat and wash them thoroughly then slice them thinly and removing the seeds that you find.


Don't fret if you miss some seeds for they are edible too. I arranged them to look nice before they are candied.
For 1 cup of sliced kumquat boil 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water. Boil the water and sugar 5 minutes  and add the kumquat and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the citrus and let the syrup thicken a little bit then return the sliced fruits into the pot to simmer for 2 minutes. Put in a jar or bowl and set aside to use for many recipes.
The candied kumquat can keep up to 2 weeks. Enjoy using it on toast or toppings for cakes. I am going to use it on my favorite Italian dessert. I love to make panna cotta because it is so good and easy to make. I will  garnish it with this beautiful candy. By the way, I am entering this dessert for the lovely blog Cuocicucidici's HART-to-HART-MY CONTEST. I hope they like it as much as I like to eat it. I made the panna cotta with 1 cup of whole milk and 1/2 cup of heavy cream boiled with 2 tbsp of agar agar flakes, 2 tbsp of sugar and some drops of vanilla extract. Put into a heart shaped pan and cooled.


This delicious but pale panna cotta will turn to exquisite and bright gold with the candied kumquat.


Enjoy Amore!

25 comments:

  1. No!! Che meraviglia, la panna cotta ai mandarini cinesi, ma è strepitosa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you got Chinese New Year and Valentine's all in one post! You, my dear friend, are an excellent multi-tasker. This heart shaped panna cotta is made with much love, I can tell. I'm sure whoever eats it will fall under your spell... ;-). I hope you win the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kumquats so I am sure to love this. As always your presentation is amazing. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe. Yes there are lots of kumquats now and I'm going to make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. deslish and just percet for Valentines. Very special with the cany, I still have never tried them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. insieme all'anguria, sono i miei frutti preferiti!!! buonissima questa panna cotta!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh michelangelo! this panna cotta seems really delicious! I didn't know the kumquats, I've never seen them in Italy :( I should look for them everywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is delicious and beautiful, I have to taste kumquat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for showing me how to use kumquat....I always see it, but I didn't know how to use it.....it looks very yummy!!.....I love panna cotta.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...nice and beautiful...never tasted this before...feel like tasting it now...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks awesome! Great pics, so vibrant and so professional looking...


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks so lovely, the kanquat candy on that pannacota makes it so special!can i ask whether does that candy taste a little bitter?have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful! A good idea to candy the kumquats as I find the fresh ones a little too sour/bitter. I love how this can be used for both Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hola Arthur, no sabía que el Kumquat era tan importante en la tradición china y que simboliza
    la fortuna, la prosperidad y la felicidad.
    Hace poco he hecho mermelada de Kumquat.Este postre de Panna Cotta te ha salido sensacional.

    Besos
    Marimi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,Michelangelo I just visited your blog and...you are a great artist! Many compliments! Ciao, a presto!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love kumquat and panna cotta and this recipe looks so beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Complimenti è una ricetta golosa e raffinata, davvero particolare...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I may not be a fan of panna cotta...however, I certainly count myself as part of your fan club.

    Arthur, here's wishing you the very best for getting appreciated at that contest ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Questa panna cotta è decisamente divina! Bravissimo, ciao Gianni

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have always seen this kumquats in the market' and I had no clue' what to do with them!!! This recipe looks and sounds delicious to me, can't wait to try them...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just saw similar one in Martha stewart cookbook. Yours looks so tempting will have to try if I find some kumquats!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Me encanto. El color ayuda mucho a la panacota, tienes razón.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kumquats are such jewels! And this panna cotta is breathtaking :)

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States