Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

March 30, 2011

Cara Cara Oranges in Salad



The cara cara orange is believed to have been developed as a cross between the Washington navel and the Brazilian Bahia navel. It was discovered at the Hacienda de Cara Cara in Venezuela in 1976. This orange that has the taste of honey and sunshine is fast gaining popularity everywhere especially here. They now grow them in California and is sought after  because of its delightful sweet flavor that is low in acid. It has been described as evoking hints of cherry, rose petal and blackberry. Such flavors are just lovely in salad. I made some for you to sample.

As for me, I consider it a jewel of the orange family.
The orange has a distinctive pinkish red  interior as compared here to the common navel orange.
Here are some fruit that go well with the special orange.
Himalayan pink salt, calamondin juice and extra virgin olive oil is sprinkled on the salad. I use this salt only because it is said to have a rich mineral and trace elements content although it has the same salty taste as the sea salt. I choose calamondin over lemon or lime because of its distinctive combined flavors of lemon and orange that goes so well with the fruit salad. Again, you can always put your favorite dressing for salads like these.
This is with avocado and cara cara orange wedges on a bed or romaine lettuce garnished with roasted macadamia nuts and dried sour cherries.
Navel,blood and cara cara oranges are combined on a bed of romaine lettuce and garnished with mint.
Slices of dragonfruit and segments of cara cara orange placed alternately.
Fruit salad of fresh pineapple chunks and green grapes with cara cara oranges.
Enjoy!





23 comments:

  1. So nice pictures!! Me too, I make orange salad often, I like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quest'arancia è bellissima! Ma come fai???

    ReplyDelete
  3. More works of art! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Qué maestría tienes en esas manos...

    La ensalada con naranja es muy refrescante y con ese aderezo imagino que estará muy buena

    Abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  5. metti davvero l'arte nel piatto! che squisitezza le arance in insalata! sei stato bravissimo!!! :-D bacioni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in Korea, sometimes there are oranges available from California, but with no specific name such as Cara Cara, but they are extremely sweet and very delicious, maybe it's this type you are gently sharing the information, and for this I thank you.
    As for your "sculpture", it's breathtaking! Really very beautiful work of art! And your salads are tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, it's a joy for my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have me craving these oranges!
    I WANT that salad.
    I have never seen these oranges in the Midwest- but now I'm on the look out!
    Thanks, Arthur- you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. from the exterior, i think they look quite like ordinary oranges but when you showed the interior..ah, i can see their difference. The carving is incredible..also looks like lantern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually i used a big eggplant not asian and not indian but the regular american kind :)) the same you can see it in the slide HERE

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious citrus salad, love your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ¡Pero qué artista eres! Muy bonito. Buen día

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG...Mik...you are incredible...your works are terrific!!! GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did it again! Great artwork and pics! I love oranges in salad but unfortunately mine never look like this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aside from the fact that I have no hand-eye coordination and could never master your feats of edible art (but too whimsical and pretty to eat), I love Cara Cara oranges so much - they just don't last long in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had seen cara cara oranges before, but after this post, I will take a closer look! Love your masterful work, always!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow... what a beautiful and tasty dish that is!
    Love your work always and it is always a treat to visit your site :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love orange salad too, but if I have my orange so beautifully carved, then I probably would want to keep them as just like a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. first time here...wow....I got to say your carvings r just too gud! ur space looks like an art galore ...glad to follow ur space :-)

    http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love salads, orange stars, the beautiful sculptures in the orange peel, but mostly I love the art you have in your hands to do the natural work of art full of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The orange sculptures are brilliant and the way you display food always amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that Orange sculpture it is beautiful. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. That orange really is like a jewel nestled in its lovely basket. I have never seen the Cara Cara orange here but will definitely keep an eye out for it now. The colour is beautiful and it sounds as if it is matched in the flavours. Gorgeous salads!

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States