Viewers

Google Website Translator Gadget

March 02, 2011

Blood Orange Marmalade Homemade


Blood oranges are here again! They come in deferent shades red. So good to eat or drink at any time and  of course marmalade for breakfast. I made two batches of light and dark that have slight difference in taste but both are really delicious.


Six oranges is quite enough to fill one large jar. This first batch are the lighter red and taste a bit sweeter. 

Wash and scrub the oranges thoroughly even if they are not treated and organic. Remove the rind of the four with a potato peeler and julienne the strips thinly. With a paring knife remove the pith of the oranges and set aside.
This is how much rind you get from four oranges.
Squeeze the juice of the remaining 2 together with 1 lemon. Cut up the pulp of both lemon and the 2 oranges and put the in a double lined cheese cloth together with the pith and tie to a pouch for the natural  pectin. Slice up the 4 oranges and remove any seed you find. The seeds can be added to the pectin pouch too.
Boil everything with 3cups of water including the pectin pouch for at list 15 minutes or until soft. Check doneness by tasting.
Remove the pectin pouch and squeeze out every pectin as much as possible to add to the pot when cold to the touch. Measure the cooked compote in cups and determine the sugar to add. This yielded 3 cups and put 1 1/2 cups of sugar. It's up to you to add more if it is not sweet enough. Boil and simmer until your desired consistency. I like it spreadable but chunky. Bottle and serve.






Enjoy!

23 comments:

  1. Blood orange marmalade looks delicious I love home made ones. You made perfect marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating! I love marmalade, oranges and blood oranges. This is wonderful that you made your own marmalade. I must try to do the same. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet and delicious!! The color is amazing, I´ll hope find this orange here, to make this mermelade!

    Nice day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!!! What a great color and I bet it is delicious. This is a must try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, loving this. Also I love baking marmalade into cakes - really makes a great texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cette combinaison chair et zeste doit être délicieuse. Les photos sont très belles et donnent envie de se faire tout de suite une tartine.
    A très bientôt.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This marmalade sounds so tempting!! I would love to have it on my morning toast :) Love the Texture and color of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. delicious and very tempting...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it....it is so gorgeous....the colour....the brightness.....I will try to make it....I say I will try because I love them fresh!....but this marmalade is so tempting!!......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful fruit choice for a marmalade, I adore blood oranges :)
    Hope you are having a great week

    ReplyDelete
  11. learnt something new..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious...my favorite marmelade!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful marmelade.

    Go to my blog..and have a wonderful day, hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks GORGEOUS. You made the perfect marmelade with the perfect texture n beautiful color.. Great pictorials too!!


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never tried blood oranges, do they taste the same? The marmelade looks delicious and the photos are just great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy and delicious...looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fresh and bright this is - perfect when everything is gray and white. I love this marmalade and have always purchased it - you make it accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hola buenos dias hoy me propuse contestar unos comentarios que dejaron en mi blog y entre ellos esta un comentario que dejaste sobre la pasta ahora soy yo quien te quiere dejar un comentario que la verdad por mi te dejaria 1000 pero ya sabes no se puede por dios me has dejado atonita con toda tu cocina eres realmente una artista mil felicitacion a y estare visitandote seguido en realidad para mi todos los blogs son interesantes pero este se pasa realmente de interesante en hora buena y te reitero mis mas grandes felicitacion

    Mi marido y yo esperamos pronto darnos un buen tour por Nappa, California solo necesitamos darnos un =el tiempo para programarlo

    Desde siempre gracias

    J-G

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a mouth-watering pictorial! LOVE your blog and happy I found it to follow :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have always wanted to make orange marmalade; now I have got a good starting point with your fabulous guidance, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Art is in the Kitchen

Art is in the Kitchen
Arthur Escoto

About Me

My photo
Napa, California, United States